Virtual appointments, also known as telehealth, are real-time face to face interactions with your provider that do not require you to come to Student Health Service. These can be scheduled using the Student Health Portal or by calling 701-231-7331. For students scheduling telehealth appointments, specific instructions will be sent to you regarding your upcoming appointment via email and secure message. Please note that mental health appointments still need to be scheduled by phone, but these may be offered virtually.
** It is the student's responsibility to check with their insurance company to verify telehealth coverage prior to scheduling an appointment. Telehealth visits with a provider are a billable service and will result in a charge, which can be submitted to the student's health insurance. For more information on the billing process, please see our Billing page.
- Acne management
- Birth control discussion and/or refill
- Dietitian intakes & rechecks
- Mental health rechecks
** Intakes must be done in person
** Students must call to schedule mental health appointments
Providers may determine that in-person visits are necessary for reasons listed above on a case by case basis.
Providers may use their own discretion and determine if other appointment types are appropriate for telehealth on a case by case basis.
- Make sure you have a camera and microphone capabilities on the device you are using. If you do not have either of these capabilities, the appointment cannot be done via telehealth.
- Download Microsoft Teams (see How do I download Microsoft Teams? below for further instructions).
- Complete forms prior to your scheduled appointment through the Student Health Portal.
- Have access to your health insurance information (both front and back of card) including the policy holder's full name, address and date of birth. Please upload this information through the Student Health Portal through the "Upload" tab if you have not already done so.
- A staff member will contact you prior to your scheduled appointment time for registration. If you are unable to answer the phone call and do not return the call prior to your appointment time, your appointment will not continue.
- Once you are registered for your appointment, the provider will initiate contact through Microsoft Teams at the time of your scheduled appointment. If you have not received a phone call within 15 minutes of your appointment time, please contact 701-231-7331.
- If the provider is unable to contact you within 10 minutes of your scheduled appointment time, your appointment will be cancelled.
- Please contact 701-231-7331 if you experience technical difficulties, but please note we may have to refer you to the NDSU Help Desk.
Download Microsoft Teams to a device of your choice any of the following ways. When prompted, make sure you sign-in with your NDUS credentials.
- Download the Microsoft Teams app on your mobile device
- Download Microsoft Teams to you computer desktop by following these steps:
- Sign into Office 365 web portal through an internet tab
- Click on Teams
- Click on the icon on the bottom left to "download desktop app"
- If prompted, click Run
- There should now be a Microsoft Teams icon on your computer desktop
- All students will sign an informed telehealth consent prior to their appointment (this will automatically generate through the Student Health Portal once an appointment is scheduled).
- Student's identity is confirmed prior to the start of the appointment.
- Provider will use a private office space during the appointment to ensure confidentiality & privacy.
- The student is responsible for ensuring a quiet, private space is utilized from their location.
- Telehealth appointments are documented in the student's electronic health record (EHR).
- Recordings of telehealth appointments are not allowed.
- Providers will follow the same standard of care as an in-person visit.
- Providers will offer clear guidance for next steps of care should it be deemed necessary that additional evaluation in person is needed for optimal health outcomes.