Students in compliance with policy set by the State Board of Higher Education and NDSU, who wish to appeal tuition and fee charges due to extenuating circumstances, may do so by completing the Tuition & Fee Appeal form.
When submitting a tuition/fee appeal, please keep the considerations outlined below in mind
- Students are responsible for complying with all University dates and deadlines as well as drop and/or withdrawal procedures. Exceptions to these policies are granted only if extenuating circumstances existed which cause the student to be unable to meet the policy requirements.
- Errors in judgement regarding personal schedules, academic ability, or finances are not cause for appeal.
- Changes in financial aid are not cause for appeal.
- Appeals will not be granted in instances of academic misconduct.
- Non-attendance does not alleviate a student of their financial responsibility.
- Medical and/or mental health emergencies are cause for appeal, however, pre-existing conditions are not eligible.
- Supporting documentation will be required on virtually all appeals.
- Classes in which the student is still enrolled or that have been assigned a grade are not eligible for appeal.
Additional, more detailed criteria may be found within the appeal form.
The above form may also be used when appealing late payment fees. Please note that there is a substantial grace period before the initial late payment fee is applied each semester. Due to this grace period, no consideration will be given for financial aid in progress or payments that are in transit to the University.
The tuition/fee appeal form should not be used when appealing academic regulations, or disputing parking citations.
If your appeal is based on concerns regarding an instructor and/or methods of instruction, a grievance must be filed with the Office of the Provost before your tuition/fee appeal may be processed. Customer Account Services will not review any appeals of this nature without input from the Office of the Provost.
Appeals must be submitted within sixty days of the conclusion of the semester. Requests received after the deadline will not be considered for a full waiver. Late payment fees incurred as a result of the delayed submission are the responsibility of the student.
Please contact the Customer Account Services department with questions regarding tuition/fee appeals.