TN Professionals

Under the US-Mexico-Canada Agreement (USMCA) (formerly NAFTA) citizens of Canada or Mexico may seek temporary entry to the U.S. as business people to engage in business activities at a professional level, in specific occupations.  

To learn more about TN status, visit

Common Uses

  • Professors
  • Research scientists
  • Engineers
  • Pharmacists


  • 3-year limit, with unlimited extensions
  • TN only available to Canadian and Mexican citizens
    • Does not apply to Canadian landed immigrants
  • TD dependents cannot work; however, they may engage in full or part-time study
  • Non-Canadian TD dependents must apply for entry visas at a U.S. Consulate or Embassy abroad


  • Hiring department contacts Faculty Immigration Services
  • After the position and candidate have been determined to be eligible for TN status:
    • Canadian citizens apply for TN status at a U.S. Port of Entry
    • Mexican citizens must apply for a visa at a U.S. Consulate or Embassy abroad

General Information on TN Status

  • Applicant may apply for TN entry up to 10 days before employment effective date
  • Port of Entry fee may be applicable
  • Legal entry established by issuance of I-94 number, issued by U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP)
  • Academic credentials (degrees, diplomas, certificates) must have the following:
    • an official English translation – if issued in a foreign language
    • must be accompanied by an official credentials evaluation to show US equivalency 


Top of page