Get Help

Medical / Immediate Help

It is strongly encouraged but not required that sexual assault victims seek medical attention following an assault. While some injuries may be immediately, apparent others such as Sexually Transmitted Infections (STIs), pregnancy, or internal injuries may be harder to detect. Victims may go to the emergency room for immediate medical care including STI testing, emergency contraception or a forensic medical exam (forensic exam).  Some medications, such as emergency contraception, are most effective when administered as soon as possible. A forensic exam is most effective the sooner it is performed but may be performed up to 96 hours after the assault. A forensic exam is performed by a trained Sexual Assault Nurse Examiner (SANE) with the goal of preserving physical evidence and assessing the victim for injuries. A victim may receive an STI check, or emergency contraception without participating in a forensic exam.

The emergency facilities at both Sanford Health and Essentia Health have on-call SANEs to assist victims.  Please note: According to Sanford Health, “SANEs are required under N.D. law to report to local law enforcement sexual assaults which may have caused injury. However, the victim has the right to choose to have evidence collected and to decide whether to cooperate with law enforcement by providing information.”

If you're interested in having a forensic exam:

  • It's best not to shower, bathe, wash your hands, eat, drink or brush your teeth. 
  • If possible, place each item of clothing in a separate paper bag (no plastic).
  • Leave the area where the assault occurred undisturbed.

Speaking with police is always your choice. If you are unsure if you would like to report to police, a forensic exam may be helpful should you decide later. 

If you decide to go to the emergency room, an advocate will be dispatched from Rape and Abuse Crisis Center, the Fargo/Moorhead area center that works with survivors of sexual assault and intimate partner violence. The advocate is a trained volunteer or staff member whose focus is solely on the survivor. Advocates are trained to support survivors and help them better understand the myriad of options available following an assault. Speaking with an advocate is completely voluntary and always the survivor's choice.

**If you are not in the Fargo/Moorhead area a list of hospitals that perform forensic exams in North Dakota can be found HERE

Emotional Support

If you or someone you know have been impacted by sexual violence, dating/domestic violence, stalking or sexual harassment you are not alone. There is no ‘right’ or ‘wrong’ way to react to a traumatic event. An individual’s response to sexual assault or relationship violence varies widely from person to person. Likewise, some survivors may wish to seek counseling immediately following an assault, while others may wait to seek help. Only you can determine when you are ready. Going to counseling for the first time can be scary, but many survivors find it helpful.

When you are ready, NDSU and the Fargo/Moorhead area have many staff members and organizations who are committed to supporting survivors. Below are just a few options available.

NDSU Counseling Center
“The mission of the Counseling Center is to encourage individuals to develop their unique potential by providing services and programs in a supportive environment.”
Counseling Center services are free and confidential for all NDSU students.

212 Ceres Hall
Office Hours: Monday - Friday 8:00am - 5:00pm (summer/holidays 7:30am - 4:00pm)
701-231-7671 (available 24-hours)

Rape and Abuse Crisis Center
“To offer crisis intervention, advocacy, counseling, and education to all persons affected by sexual and domestic violence and to provide prevention programs to create a society free of personal abuse.”
All RACC services are free and confidential to anyone impacted by intimate partner violence. 

317 8th St. North
Fargo, ND 58102
1-800-344-7273 (available 24-hours)

The Village Family Service Center
”The mission of The Village Family Service Center is to strengthen individuals we serve through regional community behavioral health services.” 

1201 25th St. S., P.O. Box 9859
Fargo, ND 58106


According to NDSU Policy Manual Section 162 students who have experienced sexual violence, dating/domestic violence or stalking are able to receive several accommodations to “stop, prevent, and remedy the harm to those affected by the prohibited conduct.” Accommodations may be temporary or long-term. Accommodations include changes to housing, a no contact directive, and changes to class schedule, work schedule, parking modifications, referrals or other reasonable accommodations. More information about accommodations can be found in Section 8 of NDSU Policy 162: Sexual and Gender-Based Harassment and Sexual Misconduct

For more information about how to request an accommodation:

Equal Opportunity and 
Title IX Compliance Office
   701-231-7107  Old Main, 201 

Sexual Assault Prevention 
and Advocacy Coordinator*

   701-231-5733  Wallman Wellness Center, 102

Dean of Students Office
 701-231-6560  Memorial Union, 250

*Confidential Resource
Please note: to receive an accommodation a complaint must be made to the university but you do not have to consent to a formal university or criminal investigation.

No Contact Order

In many cases a survivor may want to formalize that their perpetrator is not to contact them. A No Contact Order prohibits written, verbal, physical contact.  Students may file for a No Contact Order with either the Dean of Students Office or Residence Life and may be issued whether or not there is a formal investigation. A No Contact Order is not an indication of responsibility for violation of university policy. The Sexual Assault Prevention and Advocacy Coordinator as well as the Equal Opportunity and Title IX Compliance Office are able to assist in a student in requesting a No Contact Order but neither office reviews nor issues the orders.  

No Contact Orders can be issued by either Student Affairs or Residence Life. To request a No Contact Order contact Emily Frazier in the Dean of Students Office at or Jason Medders in Residence Life at

Click Here for more information on No Contact Orders


What does the advocate do?

  • The advocate’s focus is on supporting the survivor and easing the burden of violence. Advocates are confidential resources that provide information, both on and off campus referrals, emotional support and assist with navigating reporting systems and paperwork. The advocate can be present throughout Title IX investigations. Working with an advocate is always the survivors choice.

Advocacy Is:   

  • Trauma Informed. Advocates understand the impact of trauma on all aspects on a survivor’s life.
  • Always the survivor’s choice. Advocacy should work toward empowering survivors and giving voice to those impacted by violence. We are not here to tell you what to do, but to help you understand your options so you can make the decision that works best for you.
  • Confidential. Survivors should be able to tell their story on their own terms only when they are ready. 

Advocacy Is Not:

  • Advocacy is not therapy. While it is not mandatory, survivors are encouraged to look into therapy/counseling in addition to their work with an advocate.
  • Advocacy is not medical advice. While an advocate can help survivors understand their options, they cannot provide medical advice.
  • Advocacy is not legal advice. An advocate is not a lawyer and cannot give legal advice. 
Off-Campus Resources
Abused Adult Resource Center (AARC) 701-222-8370 218 W Broadway, Bismarck  
Bismarck Police Department 701-223-1212 700 S 9th Street, Bismarck  
EAP (The Village) 701-451-4900 1201 25th Street S, Fargo  
Essentia Emergency Center 701-364-8000 3000 32nd Avenue S, Fargo  
F-M Rape and Abuse Crisis Center 701-293-7273 317 8th Street N, Fargo  
Fargo Area Law Enforcement (RRRDC) 701-451-7660 300 NP Avenue Suite 206, Fargo  
Fargo Cass Public Health 701-241-1360 1240 25th Street S, Fargo  
FirstLink 701-235-7335 4357 13th Avenue S Suite 107L, Fargo  
Legal Services of North Dakota 800-634-5263 112 N University Suite 220, Fargo  
Planned Parenthood 218-236-7145 803 Belsey Blvd, Moorhead  
Sanford Emergency Center 701-417-2100 5225 23rd Avenue S, Fargo  
Southeast Human Services 701-298-4500 2624 9th Avenue S, Fargo  
On-Campus Resources
Counseling Center* (24/7 phone) 701-231-7671 Ceres Hall 212
Faculty and Scholar Immigration 701-231-7131 Old Main 201
International Student and Study Abroad Services 701-231-7895 Memorial Union 116
Sexual Assault Prevention and Advocacy* 701-231-5733 Wallman Wellness Center 102
Dean of Students 701231-6537 Old Mail 100
Student Health Service* 701-231-7331 Wallman Wellness Center 102
Equal Opportunity and Title IX Compliance Office 701-231-7708 Old Main 201
University Police and Safety Office 701-231-8998 University Police and Safety 102
*Confidential Resource    
Quick Resources
Sexual Assault Prevention & Advocacy Coordinator - 701.231.5733 NDSU Counseling Center 24-hour On Call Service - 701.231.7671
NDSU Police - 701.231.8998 Rape and Abuse Crisis Center FM - 701.293.7273
Crisis Text Line - Text 'Home' to 741741 RAINN Hotline - 1.800.656.HOPE(4673)
National Dating Abuse Helpline - Text 'loveis' to 22522  



Top of page