Monthly Payment Plan for Currently Enrolled Students
Effective Summer 2023, the monthly payment plan moved to a new administrative system. While the plan structure is very similar, there are a few notable differences. For example, payments will now be made automatically; students do not need to log in each month to pay the installment. Please take a moment to read through the terms below and reach out to our office with any questions.
NDSU’s payment plan enables students to pay tuition, mandatory student fees and other student account charges in monthly installments. If payments are current, enrolling in a payment plan eliminates late fees and registration holds.
Enrollment Periods and Deadlines, Installment Due Dates
|Months||Enrollment Period||Installment Due Dates|
|Summer||3||Apr. 15 - May 10||May 15, Jun. 15, Jul. 15|
|Fall||3||Aug. 11 - Sept. 10||Sept. 15, Oct. 15, Nov. 15|
|Spring||4||Dec. 11 - Jan. 10||Jan. 15, Feb. 15, Mar. 15, Apr. 15|
|Spring||3||Dec. 11 - Feb. 10||Feb. 15, Mar. 15, Apr. 15|
Note: Late enrollees are not allowed.
Plan Eligibility and Enrollment
- Students must be registered for classes to enroll in a payment plan.
- Students should enroll in the payment plan each semester they wish to participate; prior semester participants are not enrolled automatically.
- Authorized Payers (e.g. parents) may enroll in the payment plan on behalf of the student.
- Payment of a $30 non-refundable enrollment fee is required at time of enrollment.
- Students with a past due balance owed to the University are not eligible to enroll.
- This plan is available to current students only. Payment information for former students may be found here: Student Account Collections.
- Information regarding how to enroll may be found at the bottom of this page.
- Collaborative students (including Pathways) should not enroll in this plan if NDSU is not their home school.
Eligible and Ineligible Charges
- Most student account charges may be rolled in to the monthly payment plan. For example, tuition, mandatory student fees, housing, meal plans, parking permits, and books.
- Items excluded from the payment plan include, but are not limited to, international health insurance, NDSU apartment rent, Study Abroad, and MU Herd Shop. Excluded items must be paid for by their assigned due date in Campus Connection.
Installment Amounts and Down Payments
- In general, monthly installments equal the sum of eligible charges, less anticipated loans and scholarships, divided by three. Financial aid and tuition waivers received after the financial aid disbursement date will be applied to the account and may reduce future installment amounts.
- No down payment is required. However, individuals wishing to reduce the amount of the future monthly installments may elect to make a substantial payment prior to enrolling. Information regarding how to make a payment may be found here: Payment Methods.
- Reminder! Monthly payments are pulled automatically on the due date each month using the account information provided at the time of enrollment. There is no need to log in and initiate payment. Additional payments made will reduce the balance owed, but they will not prevent the automatic monthly payment from occurring.
Automatic Monthly Payments
- When students enroll in the plan, they will be required to enter bank account or credit card information which will be saved for future automated payments. Students will receive a reminder email approximately five days before the payment is initiated.
- The automatic monthly payment is initiated on the 15th and typically in the early afternoon. It may take 2-3 business days for the funds to be deducted from your personal bank account.
- Both credit and debit card payments will result in a 2.85% processing fee. Electronic check payments do not incur any additional fees.
- NDSU does not assume any responsibility for fees charged to the student by their banking institution as a result of insufficient funds, incorrect account numbers, etc.
- Students may log in to the online payment portal in Campus Connection and change their payment account information. However, please make any changes at least five business days before the scheduled payment. Last minute account changes may not be successful.
Your NDSU Student Account
- Student account information, including the total balance due, may be found 24/7 in Campus Connection.
- If you have already registered for courses and/or have contracted for campus housing and/or a meal plan you can utilize your Campus Connection account to view your individual charges. To access this information, go to Campus Connection > Financial Account > Account Summary.
- For information on costs not yet posted on your Campus Connection account, please visit Other Account Charges. This link has information on almost any charge that could be applied to your student account.
- Additional eligible charges often occur after initial enrollment in the payment plan. For example, charges for textbooks purchased from the NDSU Bookstore. These charges will increase subsequent monthly payment amounts. You can review your future installment amounts by logging in to the online payment portal for students (Campus Connection > Student Self Service tile > Pay Online Now link).
- The overall plan amount and monthly installments will “rebalance” as charges are added/deducted or if a tuition waiver is applied. Students will receive email notifications when plans are rebalanced.
- Payments made will appear on the student account in Campus Connection just a few minutes later and are noted as “Payment Plan Installment”.
- Failed payments will be reattempted at least once, approximately ten days after the installment was due. In the event that the second payment attempt fails as well, the student will be terminated from the payment plan. Upon cancellation, the remaining balance is due immediately and charges more than 30 days past due are subject to the monthly late payment fee of 1.75%. Students that are terminated from the current semester payment plan are not eligible to re-enroll but may enroll again in future semesters.
- Nelnet (aka QuikPay), the payment plan administrator, will send a variety of notices to enrollees via email. For example, shortly before the automatic payment is initiated each month the student will receive a reminder encouraging them to confirm that adequate funds are available.
- Email is the official means of communication at NDSU. No exceptions will be granted in instances where the student has failed to read or act upon these notices in a timely manner.
- Parents are not copied on email communications sent to students but may receive separate communications if they are an Authorized Payer and enrolled in the plan themselves.
- Before any NDSU representative may share financial information with a third party (including parents), the student must submit a signed FERPA release form. Additional information regarding this requirement may be found here: Third-Party and Family Member Student Account Access.
- For technical or plan-specific assistance, contact Nelnet at 888-470-6014.
- For general questions regarding NDSU’s payment plan and corresponding policies, please contact the NDSU Customer Account Services Office at 701-231-8782 or email@example.com.
How to Enroll
- Students: After logging in to Campus Connection, go to the Student Self Service tile and click on the Pay Online Now link which will redirect you to the Nelnet online payment portal.
- Authorized Payers: Log in to the Authorized Payer Portal.
Note: Within the online payment portal, a list of available payment plans will appear. If there are no plans listed, the student is not eligible to enroll. Please follow the prompts from this point to complete enrollment.
- Follow the prompts to pay the $30 enrollment fee, set up your payment method, and complete enrollment. You will receive an email from Nelnet/QuikPay after enrollment is successfully completed.
How to View Your Installments
- Log in to Campus Connection.
- Go to the Financial Account tile.
- Click on the Pay Online Now link.
- Click on Payment Plan and view the remaining balance due, installments left, the next payment date, and the next payment amount.