One of the most common questions we get from incoming students is "what should I pack?!" The below list will get you on the right track. Also make sure to connect with your roommate to avoid bringing double of larger items.
Have questions? Feel free to contact Residence Life at 701.231.7557 or email@example.com.
What Your Room Includes:
- Internet access
- Res Life Cinema, an online video streaming service
- Window coverings (blinds or curtains)
- Wardrobe/closet/dresser, desk, and desk chair
- Shower curtain (if applicable)
- Trash can
- Safety bedside rail: All self-lofting beds and rented lofts come with a safety side rail.
- Single bed mattress
- All utilities: Heat, water, garbage, electricity
Available to You:
- Light bulbs
- Kitchenette: Each hall has a kitchenette located in a common area; these include ovens and sinks. The Mathew Living Learning Centers and Niskanen Hall have kitchens in all units.
- Each residence hall has a trash room where students can find:
- cleaning supplies, garbage bags, recycling bins, and places to put their full garbage bags.
- Toilet paper in restrooms (except the MLLC)
- Coinless washers and dryers (money not needed)
Things You Can Bring:
- Computer (don't forget an ethernet cable for connecting to the internet for the quickest, most secure connection)
*We have many computer clusters on campus that are available 24 hours a day
- Small bookcase
- Decorative shower curtain
- Refrigerator (5 cubic ft or less) Rent one from CSI! (One per person is allowed, but we encourage roommates to share. This allows for more space in the room and helps it stay cooler because fridges pump out heat.)
- Microwave (1000 watts or less) Rent one from CSI!
- Favorite chair (Single seaters only. No love seats, futons, or couches.)
- Large area rug, throw rug or carpet (urethane or jute back- no taping, please)
- Small entertainment center
- TV set and cable cord
- Coffee maker with automatic shut off
Things You Should Bring:
- Your NDSU ID (If you already received it)
- Clothes hangers
- Fan (Pavek, Niskanen, Burgum, Cater, Churchill, and the Mathew Living/Learning Centers have air conditioning. In the rest of the halls you will want to bring a fan.)
- Linens and pillow [Please wash your linens prior to arrival. New linens sometimes dye and stain the mattresses]
- Mattress protector/cover
- Towels or washcloths
- Reading light (not halogen)
- Surge protector - U.L. approved
- Adequate renter's insurance
- White poster putty, painter's tape, or 3M removable mounting squares - no nails or tacks are allowed in the walls.
- Laundry detergent [All washers are HE]
Things you can not bring:
These items are not allowed in our halls.
- Peelable/temporary wallpaper
- "Shower trees" (shower shelf organizers with tension rods)
- Candles, incense and candle warmers
- Couches, loveseats and futons(or other furniture that seats more than one person)
- Space heaters
- Halogen lamps (floor or desk)
- Purchased or home-built lofts
- Bed risers
- Alcohol and alcohol containers of any kind
- Exercise and weight-lifting equipment
- Pets. Only fish (no hamsters, rats, lizards, etc) are allowed in a 10-gallon or less aquarium. No other pets are allowed, even for short-term stays.
- Hot plates, toasters, bread makers, air fryers, toaster ovens, or any appliance with an open heating element
- The above items are allowed in Niskanen Hall and the MLLCs
- Wireless Routers
- Outlet splitters
- Paintball and airsoft guns
- Portable air conditioner