NDSU Apartments offer a variety styles, floor plans and price points—while providing all the benefits and perks of NDSU living.

Apply for an Apartment 

Apartment Options

Click on the specific apartment pages below to view floor plans, pictures, 360° tours, featured amenities, mailing/address information and rent.

Apartment 1701   Bison Court   Niskanen Expansion  University Village  

Residence Life Interactive Campus Map


  • Affordability: Our apartments continue to beat the prices of off-campus options, while still providing the amenities and features important to you. No matter your price point, we provide more for your money.
  • Student-Friendly Contracts:
    • Planning on studying abroad? Applying for internships? Graduating in December? Our contracts can be as short as a semester, or as long as you need. Versus off-campus options who require at least a six month contract, and those are typically more expensive than the 12 month lease.
    • NDSU Apartments only require a $200 application fee, which goes toward the first month’s rent and is refundable if you don't move in. Most off-campus apartments require the first month’s rent, last month’s rent, and a security deposit.
    • If you are sharing rent with roommates, each person is billed individually—one person is not responsible for rent collection and payment.
  • Security: The safety and security of our tenants is of top concern which is why we provide secure entrances, security cameras, campus police access and coverage, and onsite staff who are dedicated to your security, safety and overall well-being.


All occupants of an apartment must fall under one of the following categories:

  • Undergraduate students: This includes any student who is currently enrolled at NDSU, and is not required to live in a residence hall under the on-campus living requirement by the time of occupancy.
  • Graduate Students
  • Post-Doctoral Research Fellows
  • Family members of eligible licensees: Spouses and dependent family members may reside with them for the duration of their occupancy. A copy of a marriage certificate and/or proof of dependency must be presented prior to occupancy.

Frequently Asked Questions 

When can I apply?

  • I have not been accepted to NDSU yet. Can I apply? Yes, you may place your name on the waiting list for an apartment at any time! Payments will be processed once an NDSU ID number has been assigned. 
  • Do I have to wait until I'm eligible to apply? No! Apply during your freshman year to move in to an apartment for your 2nd year. You can live in our apartments until you graduate.
  • Do I have to wait until Residence Hall signup to apply? No! Residence Hall signup is only for our 13 residence halls. If you want to live in Bison Court, 1701, Univ. Village, or Niskanen Expansion - apply now!

Anyone can apply at anytime. And the sooner you apply, the more likely you are to get the unit of your choice! Apply today! 

How do I apply? Apply online, then submit your $200 application fee. The fee may be paid by cash, check, money order or credit card.  

Is the application fee refundable? Yes, the reservation fee is refundable if you don’t get an apartment or change your mind and want to be removed from the waiting list.  In order to get this money back you must make the request in writing by e-mailing, mailing or filling out a form with the Residence Life Office. 

What is the length of the contract? The apartment license agreement is effective from June 1 to May 31 each year.  Students may vacate an apartment at any time, with a 60 day vacating notice. Tenants are required to sign a new license contract prior to June 1.  Failure to do so may result in a hold being placed on the student account.  Even though the contract ends on May 31, tenants are still required to provide Residence Life with a vacating notice if planning to leave at that time.  

Does each person/tenant fill out a contract and submit the $200 application fee? Yes, each tenant in the apartment is required to fill out the contract and submit the application fee.  The application fee goes toward the first month's rent.

Can you help find me a roommate? Residence Life provides NDSU Apartment students with an online roommate matching program called MyCollegeRoomie. Request access to MyCollegeRoomie here. Within 2-3 days, you will receive an email invite via your NDSU email address to participate in the program. Learn more abour MyCollegeRoomie here.

Can I live with someone of the opposite gender? Yes. As long as all tenants are NDSU students, there are no gender requirements. 

Can I remain in the apartment even if I’m not registered for the summer? Yes, any student may reside in the apartments over the summer as long as they are registered for fall semester.

Do I need a NDSU permit to park in the apartment lots? Yes. Permits can be purchased online via Campus Connection. Questions about parking permits may be addressed by contacting the Parking Office at 701.231.5771.

Is internet provided? Yes, internet is provided through a cable modem (for University Village) or through a designated port (for 1701, Bison Court and Niskanen Expansion) and there is no charge to the tenant.  When you check into your apartment you will be given instructions about how to set up your internet service. 

What documents do I need to provide proof of my marriage or dependents? You must provide the Residence Life Office with a marriage certificate or birth certificate, depending upon what your case may be.

Does each apartment have a bathroom/stove/refrigerator? Yes, each apartment has each of these things.  

Can I have a fish tank in the apartments? Yes, fish tanks up to 10 gallons in size are permitted.  

Is there laundry service available? Yes, coin-operated laundry rooms are provided in each of the apartment courts and buildings.  

Is there telephone service provided? Telephone service is not provided.

Can I use financial aid to pay for my rent?  Yes, work with NDSU One Stop for details. 

How do I pay my rent and when is it due? Rent is due by the 1st of the month, but we give you until the 10th before applying a late fee. Rent can be paid at One Stop located in the Memorial Union or you can pay online via Campus Connection. View step-by-step online rent pay directions here. 

What is my address? Apartment mailing addresses. 

Can I have a guest? Guests are permitted for a maximum length of 30 days within a calendar year.

How far in advance do I need to give notice before leaving? When vacating, a licensee must complete the Intent to Vacate form at least 60 days in advance of vacancy. Failure to do so will result in a penalty fee:

  1. Licensees that provide a vacating notice between 50 and 59 days will be assessed rent through the end of the 60-day period.
  2. Licensees that provide a vacating notice between 30 and 49 days will be assessed a $250 fee.
  3. Licensees that provide a vacating notice between 0 and 29 days will be assessed a $500 fee.

What do I have to do after submitting my vacating notice?
At least 5 days before you vacate you must contact your complex manager to schedule a  check out. Click here for the check out procedures.

Top of page