Pulse Crops and Dry Edible Beans - Teachers Guide
North Dakota Ag Mag- A magazine about agriculture in North Dakota.
This issue of the Ag Mag focuses on the production, processing, distribution and consumption of pulse crops and dry edible beans. North Dakota ranks high in production of most pulse crops and dry edible beans, and #1 in several.
The Ag Mag’s information and activities are geared primarily toward the state’s third, fourth and fifth graders.
Who Knows Who Grows "Smackin Snackin"?
This hands on learning book introduces students to agriculture commodities which are grown in the northern plains states of North Dakota and Montana, and other western states.
The book is ideal for reading aloud and then using as a guide for measuring and mixing. The story yields discussions in math, science, and geography. The agriculture commodities yield delicious hummus and dipping snacks!
This book is brought to you by the Montana Department of Agriculture’s “Ag in the Classroom” program, Northern Pulse Growers Association, and the farmers who dedicate long hours to growing food for the world. Partial funding for this book was provided by Northern Pulse Growers Association.
Pulses - Lentils, Chickpeas and Split Peas - PowerPoint Presentation
Pulses, which include lentils, chickpeas and dry peas, are increasingly being recognized for their role in promoting good health. Making pulses a regular part of your diet may reduce your risk of heart disease, diabetes and certain cancers. The presentation highlights information about lentils, split peas and chickpeas including serving size, MyPlate recommendations and preparation techniques.
Check out the Pulse Publication list for suitable handouts to accompany the presentation.
- Participants will be able to identify pulse crops (lentils, chickpeas and split peas).
- Participants will know what counts as a serving of lentils, chickpeas and split peas.
- Participants will know MyPlate recommendations for lentils, chickpeas and split peas.
- Participants will know how to prepare pulse crops.
Pulses, which include chickpeas/garbanzo beans, dry peas and lentils, increasingly are being recognized for their role in promoting good health. This game reviews some of the properties of pulses and their use on our menus.
On the Pulse of Healthful Eating - Making Freezer Meals with Lentils, Chickpeas and Split Peas
This program provides information about making freezer meals with pulse foods.
- Increase their understanding of pulses and pulse foods
- Be able to identify at least three types of pulse foods
- Be able to list at least two nutritional benefits of including pulses as part of a healthful diet
- Be able to list the steps to preparing freezer meals using pulse ingredients
Development of many of the materials on this website was made possible, in part, with funding from the Northern Pulse Growers Association.