The State Legislature approved a new chemistry building for the campus in 1961 and construction began in 1963. The building was constructed north of Ladd Hall at the cost of $1 million ($700,000 from the State and $268,000 from two federal grants). The new chemistry building was a welcomed addition to the Chemistry Department since it ranked only behind the Universities of Texas and California in graduating students with a Master of Science degree in chemistry. The building was also welcomed because it would provide additional space for students pursuing their Ph.D. — offered at NDSU since 1959 (Fargo Forum, July 8, 1963). The building was completed in the summer of 1964 and provided the Chemistry Department with an additional 38,000 square feet. The building was dedicated as Dunbar Laboratories on May 28, 1965 in honor of Ralph E. Dunbar, Dean of Chemistry from 1943 to 1960.
1301 Albrecht Boulevard
Fargo, ND 58102